It has been a while since I had a chance to brew some beer. But this weekend, I got to do two. Which is nice, I have some 50 empty bottles sitting in a cabinet gathering dust. Anyway, one is a Mr. Beer extract recipe that I did with one minor modification. The other is my second all grain attempt. You can find the specific recipes under my brewing menu item, but here’s the quickie.
- Fallen Friar – I did this beer on Sunday mostly because I have 6 leftover cans of HME in the house, and two all grain brews in the same weekend is a lot of work. It sounded good, and I had all the ingredients. The recipe mods where to swap out the Mr. Beer yeast for some Safale 34/70 dry yeast which I think will improve the flavor that comes out. And I added a cup (well, 95% of a cup, I ran out) of honey into the finished wort. I found several comments on this recipe on the web, and pretty much all of them added some form of honey or syrup. In this case, it shouldn’t change the flavor profile that much, but should increase the alcohol content about .2 – .3 percent. It will be ready to bottle in about 4 weeks.
- Dawn’s Blackberry Blonde Ale – This is based on a recipe I found online somewhere. It claimed it was a nice and easy to make all grain recipe that turned out light and easy. It mostly was actually. I’m adding the blackberry extract on my own in a few days, that wasn’t part of the original recipe, but I want my fiance to enjoy beer. It was somewhat simple. It’s fermenting now, and I’ll test it in 3 weeks. Here’s the ingredient list
- .375 Kg White Wheat
- .375 Kg Crystal Malt 10L
- 1.8 Kg 2 row pale malt
- Willamette and Ahtanum hops for flavor.
- Safale US 05 dry yeast
- Blackberry mix
For this recipe, BeerSmith estimated 1.046 OG, I got 1.046 OG out of it, which is exciting, the software estimating at about 70%. I used a new sparge method and held the gains at 155 degrees. I’m going to keep working on this method and see if I can’t up my efficiency a bit. I’m looking forward to tasting this recipe though, both to taste my all grain attempt (my first attempt died a tragic bad yeast death), and because if it works, it means I’m getting better at all grain.