My first crack at a Dunkeweissen

Boy did I screw that up. Not only did I get the ingredients wrong, but I didn’t sparge it right, and my efficiency was pretty awful. I added a full bag of DME, but that was too much, so my OG was almost 1.060, which is a tad high. So, I’m going ahead with it. I have no idea what this will taste like, but it should be interesting.

The recipe was

  • 1.2 Kg flaked wheat
  • .6 Kg Munich malt
  • .4 Kg German Pilsner
  • .25 Special B malt
  • .2 Kg Caramel/Crystal Malt – 40L
  • .2 Kg Carafa 1
  • 1 bag Wyest 3068
  • 14 g Hallertauer Mittlefrueh

My mistake was was the .2 kg Carafa 1, which should have been .02 Kg. Now it’s very dark, but does have a very interesting aroma. It’s in the fermentation tank right now. I’ll be bottling it on Saturday.

The blonde ale was bottled last Saturday, but without any fruit additions. I want to try it first, and see what happens. The Fallen Friar goes into bottles on Saturday as well. Mostly because I leave for France on Sunday most likely for work. The blonde ale should be ready to try by the time I get back from France, so I’m looking forward to that. More to come.

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>